Sunday, December 23, 2007

2007 Editor Lists











Sean

Favourite New Band to Emerge

I'd have to say A Place to Bury Strangers, solid debut album.

Favourite New Discovery

That's a tough question as so many bands I was kind of familiar with all released great albums i.e Spoon, Iron and Wine, The National. In the way of brand new discoveries i'd say Deerhunter.

Disapppointing album of the year

Definitely Interpol, I expected big from these guys and they didn't quite deliver.

Album that suprised you?

Possibly Sunset Rubdown, I wasn't really too keen on Spencer Krug's adventures until I took a chance on giving Random Spirit Lover a spin.

Favourite Music Publication

No real favourites, more just a collection of a few.

Musicomh
Largeheartedboy (more of a link site)
Pitchfork
Drowned in Sound
Audio Overflow
Popmatters
Stylus (R.i.P)

Most Overrated Album/Band of the year

Tough question, even if the quality of material this year was fairly exceptional the media, blogs and publication's still managed too find away to blow everything out of proportion. LCD Soundsystem, Feist, Of Montreal, Panda Bear, Battles etc.


Most Unnoticed Album/Band of the year

Australia wise, easily Belles will Ring and Internationally, Cass McCoombs and Nicole Atkins.

How many 2007 albums did you purchase this year?

Inside the year: 18.

Record shop that gave you the most pleasure this year?

Toss up between JB hifi (as usual) and Rockinghorse (Brisbane) was quite swell.

Best moment in music this year?

Probably at Dinosaur Jr, when Lou Barlow handed me one of his picks that he had dropped between songs, nice.

Most listened to song/album of the year

Not sure song wise, album wise Kanye West - Graduation

Album you think everyone should hear/own

Animal Collective, only because the sound is now and probably the future.

Best sophomore effort for the year

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible, pretty great return.

Your musical journey this year?

Pretty Interesting year, started off fairly slow with some big releases and all at once a few months in records just started popping up left right and centre, things i'd heard of before and things i knew i just had to try out, pure craziness. 2007 also saw the so called "indie" genre come full circle, with many acts fully establishing themselves whether it be in headling slots at big festivals too reaching a more commerical audience. The death of Oink brought alot of attention about which was quite sad, such a great site.

Best reunion

Dinosaur Jr for my money, solid record and live show, Jesus and the Marychain also.

Worst reunion

Well on record a toss up between the Stooges and Smashing Pumpkins.

Best Music DVD/Film

Control was astounding and Joe Strummer: The Future is Unwritten is must.

Best Band/Artist Bio/Auto grapy

I checked a bit of Slash's autobio out, wasnt bad and i purchased Bob Dylans Chronicles, so i should get to that soon as possible.

Albums you tried to get into, but just couldnt

Quite a few this year: Burial, Panda Bear, Of Montreal, No Age and Dirty Projectors. Hopefully with time they will all click.















Simon


Favourite New Band to Emerge

I’ve not been impressed with any new bands this year to be honest. Cripple Black Phoenix would have to be the pick of them, I would say.

Favourite New Discovery

Definitely Deerhunter. They’d have to be the most diverse indie band I’ve heard in quite some time and it’s not just from album to album, but in particular their album “Cryptograms” itself. It has so many different song structures and different sounds that you have to ask yourself “is this really the same band creating these songs?”

Disappointing albums of the year

Definitely Pelican’s “City Of Echoes”. Although it has some of the band’s finest material on it, as an album, it really lacks the killer punch. The rhythm section just doesn’t seem right, which is disappointing. I was expecting a bit more from Interpol, too. I didn’t want them to make that rubbish album that most bands due when they sign to a major label, and although “Our Love To Admire” isn’t rubbish, it’s the band’s worst collection of songs yet.

Album that surprised you?

Jesu’s “Conqueror”. Although Justin Broadrick’s previous works have impressed me, “Conqueror” is such an amazing collection of songs. It’s definitely amongst the finest releases I’ve listened to this year.

Favourite Music Publication

To be honest, I’ve given up on publications for the minute. NME is an absolute disgrace and has succumbed to the business side of the evil music industry, while other publications are just too expensive for my shallow pockets (someone‘s a tight-arse). I read Pitchfork, although it’s not my favourite publication. I feel too many people read too much into what critics say, rather
than judging for themselves what’s good and what’s not, so I’d rather stay clear of that kind of stuff and make up my own opinion.

Most Overrated Album/Band of the year

I don’t mean to sound arrogant here, but I guess you have to be rated to be overrated, right? I guess The Klaxons miss the boat on this occasion. Way too many British bands get recognition they simple don’t deserve. Personally, I moved to England hoping to get a better feel for music, but a lot of people over here love band’s that the rest of the world simply don‘t! Band’s like the Klaxons, Reverend And The Makers, Kaiser Chiefs and basically all of this new wave British material is best used for a coffee coasters and not much else! Seriously, it’s a worry, this lack of ability within the modern music scene.

Most Unnoticed Album/Band of the year

It has to be Burial. I’ve been following this guy thanks to a mate of mine who got me onto his self-titled debut early last year. “Untrue” is definitely one of the albums of the year, but I think it’ll go largely unnoticed due to the embryonic nature of the genre that this album represents.

How many 2007 albums did you purchase this year?

To be honest, I’ve downloaded a lot this year, as logistically, I’m not that well set-up, so my laptop is my new best friend. I’ve bought about 60, though. I’m on an average of 130 plus every other year.

Record shop that gave you the most pleasure this year?

I got a lot from JB Hi-Fi whilst I was in Sydney and Melbourne. Although it’s a franchise, just like HMV and the like, they offer good prices and the staff are very friendly, unlike some of those elitist wankers who work in independent record shops.

Best moment in music this year?

Radiohead announcing the release of “In Rainbows” and the overall concept they took to release it. A great idea and touch of genius from one of the world’s best bands. Also, the fact that Morrissey is suing the NME for that misconstrued piece they conspired. Not that he needs financial compensation, but for the principal of the matter, I hope he bleeds those shit-stirring fuckers for every penny and after paying his lawyer, donating the rest of the money to some anti-racist charity. I could see Morrissey doing something like that!

Most listened to song/album of the year

Song: Pelican’s ‘Far From The Fields’. This is definitely one of the best songs the bands has written to date. Sums them up in nutshell, really.

Album: Radiohead’s “In Rainbows” it took me four listens before it really hit me, but now it’s home and on repeat. Same could probably go for Burial’s “Untrue”, and Jesu’s “Conqueror” which are always constantly getting a spin.

Album you think everyone should hear/own

For a modern lesson in talented musicians Deerhunter’s“Cryptograms” is a must.

Best sophomore effort for the year

Although Deerhunter‘s “Cryptograms” was a sophomore release, no one really got into them based on their first release, so in this case I’d have to say The Arcade Fire’s “Neon Bible”. What a band. There’s no sophomore nerves with this album. It’s truly special, despite what people think. I think a lot of fans are quiet put off by this band’s popularity, but to be honest, don’t let that rubbish persuade you against the true ability and strength of a band and their music. You
can’t go past amazing pieces of work and The Arcade Fire produce it. No doubt.

Your musical journey this year?


Definitely moving over to the UK has effected me for the fact that I now download music instead of buying it. There’s pros and cons towards this stance, but I truly believe I wouldn’t of heard half of the albums I have if it weren’t for the internet. I was strongly opposed to internet downloading, but when you go down to the local record shop and see albums for 15 quid, then your mind quickly changes and I’m no exception. Fuck the likes of HMV taking your money.

Fight against it and soon enough they will die a slow death. As for new bands. I’ve been very disappointed in comparison with previous years. It’s certainly been a year for digging the older material. I think the industry realises the lack of good music, too, and this is the reason why so many bands are reforming. That and for the chance to make more money, too, of course.

I’ve also been turned off by live shows, somewhat, due to the idiocy that flows through the doors of particular shows. In future I will indeed be choosing very carefully which gigs I attend. This is not an elitist stance, by the way. I just don’t like beer being spilt over me or getting the music drowned out by a conversation that’s totally irrelevant to the show itself. It’s true; as music becomes more popular, shows attract the moronic element of society. It’s ironic because people use to attend a show to escape the likes these people, but it’s turned full circle now, unfortunately.. Dig out your plan b, people.

Best reunion

Although, I haven’t seen The Jesus & Mary Chain, I think it’s a good thing they’re back together. So much depends on the live show, so we’ll have to see with that one. Dinosaur Jr are the only band that have released a solid album and have continued on with their ear-splitting
live show, so in my books, Mr Mascis, Mr. Barlow and Murph are the winners!

Worst reunion

The Smashing Pumpkins. Merely a money making scheme this and although “Zeitgeist” isn’t the worst album, I think the release of it was a total lack of respect for James Iha. The old material live is a perfect example of why Billy Corgan should have let sleeping dogs lie.


Best Music DVD/Film

“Control”. Such a great representation of a great band.

Best Band/Artist Bio/Autobiography

I’ve not read too many artist bio this years, but “The Music, Myths, and Misbehavior of Primal Scream” was quite insightful and interesting and was very accurate
due to the writer [Kris Needs] having close ties with the band itself.

Albums you tried to get into, but just couldn’t

I would have to say Blonde Redhead’s “23”. Their music in general, - in my opinion -, is good but I can’t get into any of their albums as a whole. “23” continues in much the same vein for me
.


No comments: